Sunday, November 24, 2019

November 24. On this date in 1919, Dr. Esslemont asked 'Abdu'l-Bahá to speak on the life of Bahá'u'lláh at Bahjí.



November 24. On this date in 1919, Dr. Esslemont asked 'Abdu'l-Bahá to speak on the life of Bahá'u'lláh at Bahjí.


BAHÁ'U'LLÁH
Luncheon 24 November 1919
Today Dr. Esslemont asked ‘Abdu'l-Bahá to speak on the life of Bahá'u'lláh at Bahjí.
Picture: Approaching the Bahjí Palace
‘Abdu'l-Bahá: "Bahá'u'lláh lived in ‘Akká nine years. Two years were passed in the barracks and seven years in a house in the city. There was a mobilization at that time, toward the end of two years, and the barracks were needed for the soldiers. Then the local governor gave permission for them to be transferred to a house. When Bahá'u'lláh moved from the barracks he did not come out of the house for seven years. During our stay in the barracks it was very difficult. No one was allowed to go to the baths. Every morning four of the friends accompanied by four gendarmes would go to the market to buy provisions.
When we left the barracks we were all sent to a caravansary in the city but Bahá'u'lláh went to a house with his family. All the time He was in one room, during the seven years, but it was not on account of strict regulations. In the next room adjoining, thirteen people were living. It was even smaller than this room. A woman guest came from Persia. There was no place for her. In the room where we slept there was a high trunk and she made this her bed. At midnight she tossed and fell down. We all woke up and laughed about it until morning.
"When things were very gloomy in the barracks Bahá'u'lláh revealed some Tablets which are still preserved, saying: ‘Do not grieve. These doors will be opened and I will leave the city and go to the country.' This caused great happiness. This was a great source of consolation to the friends.
"After nine years had elapsed, Bahá'u'lláh said one day: ‘I have not gazed at verdure or a green leaf for a long time.' Bahá'u'lláh was very fond of verdure. He used to say: ‘The country is the world of the soul and the city the world of the body.' From this remark I gathered that He was indirectly referring to something.
"There was a certain Páshá Muhammad Safouat in ‘Akká. He was in the utmost enmity toward us. He had a palace three miles from ‘Akká surrounded by gardens. It was a very lovely spot with running water. I went and called on this Páshá at his home. I told his Excellency, ‘You have left the palace empty and are living in ‘Akká He replied: ‘I am an invalid and cannot leave the city. It is lonely and there is no one to associate with me.'
"When Bahá'u'lláh made this remark, I knew that He was longing to leave the city and I knew that whatever I did I should succeed. So I said: ‘While you are not living there, it is empty. Give it to us.' The Páshá became greatly astonished at this. I rented it from the Páshá at a very low rate, five pounds a year. It was very strange. I paid him for five years and made a contract. Then I sent some labourers to repair it. I built a bath and ordered a very large carriage to be prepared.
"One day I said I will go first myself. Alone I left the city on foot. The gendarmes were on guard. They did not object. Just like that I went out. They said nothing. The following day I went to Bahjí. No one said anything. Then one day I prepared a feast and invited all the officials of those districts. From morning until evening it lasted. Then I returned.
"One day I went to His Holy Presence and said: ‘The palace is ready and also the carriage to drive you there.' At that time there was no carriage in ‘Akká or Haifa. He replied: ‘I will not go. I am a prisoner.' Later on I requested again. Again He refused. I went so far as to beg Him a third time. He said: ‘No.' I did not dare to insist.
"There was a certain Muhammadan Shaykh in ‘Akká who was very well known and influential. I called him and said: ‘This is the situation, but Bahá'u'lláh will not accept it from us.' He loved Bahá'u'lláh, it was pure love. I said: ‘You are daring; you go to His Holy Presence and take hold of his hands and do not let go until He promises to leave the city.' He was an Arab. He went and sat close to the knees of Bahá'u'lláh, took hold of his hands, kissed them and said: ‘My Lord, why do you not leave the city?' He replied: ‘I am a prisoner.' The Shaykh answered: ‘God forbid! Who has the power to make you a prisoner? You have kept yourself in prison. It was your own will to be imprisoned. Now I beseech you to come out and go to the palace. It is green. The trees are lovely. All the leaves are green, the oranges are like balls of fire.' As often as the Blessed Beauty said, ‘I am a prisoner, it cannot be,' the Shaykh took his blessed hands and kissed them. For one hour he did not cease. Then Bahá'u'lláh said, ‘Kheili Khoob' (very good).
"The following day he rode in the carriage. I was also in His Holy Presence. We left the city. No one objected. We went to that green spot. I returned and left Bahá'u'lláh there. From that time on He was either there, in ‘Akká in Haifa, or at Bahjí.
"That palace is in ruins now. It was thirty-five years ago that the Páshá died. All his property was destroyed. I want to restore that palace. The Páshá's property became wakf [property set-aside for religious purposes]. If it were not wakf I would buy it. That green spot is wakf."
Dr. Esslemont: "Where were the Tablets to the kings revealed?"
‘Abdu'l-Bahá: "Partly in Adrianople; partly in ‘Akká
Dr. Esslemont: "Did any rulers reply besides Queen Victoria?"
‘Abdu'l-Bahá: "No one."
Dr. Esslemont: "What was Bahá'u'lláh's mode of life at Bahjí?"
‘Abdu'l-Bahá: "Like the conduct of a prince. The Páshás used to come and desire to call but He would not meet
Dr. Esslemont remarked that the missionaries objected to his living in luxury compared to the humble way of Christ.
‘Abdu'l-Bahá: "Of course the enemies will write whatever they wish. Majesty is very easy to be acquired by one, but the miracle is that being in prison, He still lived in the utmost majesty. Every prisoner is meek and oppressed, yet Bahá'u'lláh lived in the utmost majesty. Two despotic sovereigns, two powerful autocratic rulers imprisoned Him, yet He addressed them in exceedingly severe terms. Notwithstanding that He was in their prison, He was still in the utmost majesty. Such a thing has not been seen since the beginning of the world. It is a fact, known to all, that the Governor of the city, for five years, begged admittance to His Holy Presence, but He would not grant it. He was under his orders and the Governor had received a firman to confine Him closely."
Dr. Esslemont: "Was it not true that Bahá'u'lláh had to show forth all the attributes of God, how to be both poor and rich?"
‘Abdu'l-Bahá: "Yes. However, He lived very simply and economically regarding his own welfare. He had no return from his property at that time. His property was confined to half the village of Adasieh [near Tiberias]. It was in ruins and yielded no revenues. Now it is restored and we get some revenues. Bahá'u'lláh owned vast properties in Persia which were confiscated; also in Baghdád, but they were taken from Him toward the end of our stay. All were sacked and confiscated by the Turkish Government."

No comments:

Post a Comment